Stephen Ministry is the one-to-one lay caring ministry that takes place in congregations that use the Stephen Series system. These congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting. St. Andrew’s is proud to participate in the Stephen Ministry.
There are three groups of people involved in this ministry: Stephen Leaders, Stephen Ministers, and care receivers.
Stephen Leaders establish and direct Stephen Ministry in a congregation. They—
- build awareness of Stephen Ministry within the congregation and community
- recruit and train Stephen Ministers
- meet with potential care receivers to assess their needs
- match care receivers with Stephen Ministers
- provide Stephen Ministers with ongoing supervision and continuing education
Stephen Ministers are laypeople in the congregation—Christian men and women—trained to provide one-to-one care to people experiencing a difficult time in life, such as grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, relocation, or separation due to military deployment. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education.
Stephen Ministers come from all walks of life, but the all share a passion for bringing Christ’s love and care to people during a time of need.
Care receivers are people—congregation members and others in the community—who receive care from a Stephen Minister. These are people struggling through a difficult time in life.
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
St. Andrew’s is proud to participate in the Stephen Ministry. If you would like to be a care receiver, please contact our rector, John Pollock, at (252) 727-9093.
If you are interested in becoming a Stephen Minister, please contact Debbie Butcher at (252) 725-7478.
JOIN US FOR WORSHIP
Sundays: 8:00 Holy Eucharist, Rite One :: 9:00 Adult Sunday School :: 10:00 Holy Eucharist, Rite Two
Wednesdays: 12:15 Holy Eucharist, Rite One :: 5:30 Holy Eucharist, Rite One, with Healing Service